91³Ô¹ÏÍø

Building    From 1888  To 1997

Royal Northern Hospital

Categories: Medicine

Royal Northern Hospital

Founded in 1856 by Dr. Sherard Freeman Statham (dismissed from University College Hospital for smacking a patient's bottom) at 11 York Road (later York Way), and expanded into numbers 9 and 10.  1862 it had to move and took on a number of different premises.  Finally in 1884 the Grove House estate of over an acre on Holloway Road was acquired and the Great Northern Central Hospital opened there in 1888.  “Central” was dropped from the name in 1911. The hospital extended on its own site and expanded onto neighbouring properties and other sites. It occupied much of the area bounded by: Holloway Road, Tollington Way, Axminster Road and Manor Gardens. Joined the NHS in 1948 and closed in 1992. 

2014: The Northern Health Centre occupies the original 1888 Holloway Road block but apart from that and the memorial arch it was all demolished in 1997 and developed for residential and the provision of the memorial garden.

This information above all comes from the splendid , including the bit about the smacked bottom.

The picture shows the out-patients waiting room in 1888.

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in to see them

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Royal Northern Hospital

Commemorated ati

RNH - Casualty Department

See the mosaic for more information about the Casualty Department.

91³Ô¹ÏÍø

RNH - mosaic

The new RNH Casualty Department, funded by the Islington War Memorial Fund, w...

91³Ô¹ÏÍø

RNH - NJ

This small plaque is rather hidden behind plants. We don't understand the mo...

91³Ô¹ÏÍø

RNH - Philip Hill

This stone was laid by Philip E. Hill Esq, chairman of Beechams Pills Ltd on ...

91³Ô¹ÏÍø

RNH - Princess Louise

RNH Opened by HRH Princess Louise Duchess of Argyle GBE on the 30th October ...

91³Ô¹ÏÍø

Show all 9

This section lists the memorials created by the subject on this page:
Royal Northern Hospital

Creations i

Islington war memorial arch - foundation stone at the right

In 1923 the Prince of Wales was Edward, who later became, briefly, King Edwar...

91³Ô¹ÏÍø

Other Subjects

George Qvist

George Qvist

Surgeon to the Royal Free Hospital. Wrote a biography of fellow surgeon John Hunter. Married Dame Frances Violet Gardner (1913-1989), another medical consultant. AIM gives their impressive CVs. We'...

Person, Medicine

1 memorial
St Thomas' Hospital

St Thomas' Hospital

Named after Thomas a Becket, so possibly founded after 1173 when Becket was canonised. As part of an Augustinian monastery, St Thomas’ (at the London Bridge site) was closed during the Reformation....

Place, Medicine

8 memorials
French hospital in Bath Street

French hospital in Bath Street

Founded by royal charter in 1718 to house the poor or infirm of French Huguenot descent. Known as "La Providence". In 1866 the hospital was moved to Victoria Park in Hackney and in 1960 to Rocheste...

Building, Medicine, Social Welfare, France

1 memorial